Roasted Garlic Bisque Recipe
This thick, creamy, garlicky darling will provide comfort and beckon you to stop, rest and enjoy. Garlic is a wonder ingredient for rebooting your immune system, which may be compromised in cases of digestive issues or autoimmunity. The crushed macadamias add texture, but they’re optional.
- 4 garlic bulbs, unpeeled
- 60 ml (2 fl oz/14 cup) extra virgin olive or coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, washed well and roughly chopped
- 1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cups) good-quality chicken stock or bone broth, such as the Gut-Healing Turmeric Chicken Broth
- 3 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 2 pinches of ground nutmeg, or to taste
- 100 g (312 oz) macadamia nuts, dry-roasted and roughly chopped or crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
Cut about 5 mm (1/4 inch) off the tops of the garlic bulbs to expose the cloves. Place the garlic bulbs in a small baking dish, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and toss to coat. Turn the garlic cut side up, then cover the dish tightly with foil.
Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until the garlic skins are golden brown and tender.
Leave to cool, then squeeze the garlic out of the skins.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and leek for 3–4 minutes, or until softened.
Add the roasted garlic, stock and parsnip. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer for about 30–35 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Leave to cool slightly, then purée the soup using a food processor or hand-held stick blender.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks. While the soup is still warm, and with the food processor or blender still running, add the egg yolks and whiz until combined.
Season to taste with the nutmeg, and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
If you need to warm the soup to serve, stir gently over low heat until heated through, but no longer than 1–2 minutes, or the yolks will curdle.
Ladle into bowls, top with the macadamias and parsley and serve.
FOR MORE TIPS AND RECIPES TO HELP BUILD YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND LOVE YOUR GUT, CLICK HERE.